Monday, December 29, 2008

Iliopsoas tendonitis

My trainer in training, Cheryl, told me that what I thought was a hip flexor strain is iliopsoas tendonitis. I looked it up on the web and here is the definition:

Iliopsoas tendonitis is predominately caused by repetitive hip flexion or overuse of the hip area, resulting in inflammation. Athletes at risk include runners, jumpers and participants of sports that require a lot of kicking. Also at risk are those who participate in strength training and weight lifting exercises that require a lot of bending and squatting.

Pain and tenderness are common symptoms; however the onset of pain associated with iliopsoas tendonitis is gradual and tends to build up over an extended period of time.


Yep, that sounds like it. It says that a week of RICE will fix it up. I'm hoping that's true. After three days, it still hurts. I'm hoping it'll be better after New Year's. I have a half-marathon to train for...

3 comments:

  1. Joni, you have to get a foam roller. I have one and it's the best thing EVER!!! Got me through a hip injury and a calf strain. Get one, seriously! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your feeling better Joni!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes!! hope that you are better soon! that stinks!

    ReplyDelete